Royalties & Monetization
High level summary for English indie hip-hop artists.
- (optional) Create your own ISRC codes with CONNECT.
- (optional) Get contracts in place for your songs
- Ensure your songs have been uploaded to Nielsen BDS.
- Royalties: Composition/Publisher + Performance: Sign up with SOCAN.
- Royalties: Composition/Publisher + Mechanicals: Sign up with SOCAN-RR (formerly SODRAC). CMRRA is another great option, but is aimed more toward publishers.
- Royalties: Master recording + Performance: Sign up with ACTRA RACS or MROC.
Royalties: Master recording + Revenues: Sign up with CONNECT
Royalties: Monetizing: YouTube, Facebook, Instagram
(optional) Future: Royalties for producers. TBD.
(optional) Read this article about percentages for beatmakers: https://wealthysound.com/posts/royalties-producers-and-beatmakers-get
(optional) If you expect to get commercial radio play: Register your title with MediaBase
(optional) Register with SoundScan if you want to track sales for Billboard charting
- Note: You donít need to sign up with SoundExchange because the Canadian agencies collect from them. However, there is an 4.5% admin fee.
The Essentials: Getting Your Album or Vinyl out (2006)
* Releasing a CD: Essential Steps for Canadians.
Nielsen Broadcast Data Services (BDS)
* CD Packaging Checklist - CD Packaging Logos (stored in a .zip file).
* 'So You're Gonna Put Out An Album' by myself (Trizoy) at HipHopCanada.com.
* 12" Vinyl Tips.
* Sample Distribution Contract from a FACTOR-Recognized Distributor (in pdf format - Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader).
* Extra Distribution Information: (in pdf - Requires Acrobat Reader) OR (in MS Word).
* Check out SOCAN's Guide to digital music platforms.
Websites - Other Useful Sites (2008)